Banner Image

Custom WiiM Client

fosi-sqh

To Fosi Corporate & Engineering:

I've just bought a T10 amp with WiiM server in it, expecting to control the thing via the advertised "WiiM app" from the Google Play store. Found that it is actually called the "WiiM Home" app, owned by a direct competitor of Fosi in the audio amplifier space.

My problem: that app needs Android 7+, I hear, and I want to install it on a beautiful Android 6 device, perfect for audio system control. It is a non-upgradable product from IBM (Lenovo tablet YT3-850F).

How about providing a custom Fosi version of the WiiM App? Linkplay is apparently the maker of it, and licenses it only to manufacturers. Only one seems to have released something - WiiM Home (wiimhome.com).

As silly as it is, it appears there is no generic consumer version of it, without branding. So, Fosi could license it, put their custom trademarks in it, save the day, and look like they are the meritorious frontrunner in the streaming music arena.

WiiM sounds great, but does not appear to be an open spec server interface. I don't find anything. It ought to be open so anyone can develop a client. Anyone should be able to develop a server. You've put it into your server, can you publish the interface spec? I assume it is standard web services. I'll be snooping when I get the chance.

If you would like, for fun I'll offer some of my spare time to make Linkplay's code work. I'm a professional software engineer for 20+ years and have much experience with embedded systems. Can't be that difficult.

Cheers!

Back