Banner Image

Removing P1 tone controls

megalift

I have just acquired a P1 preamp for the purpose of modification and a couple of things jump out; I would like to replace the volume potentiometer with a stepped attenuator and more importantly I would like to remove the tone controls entirely so my question is can I ask for advice on how to proceed? Can I just use jumpers to bridge the legs of the tone controls or will a resistor be required? My main goal is to shorten the signal path and not introduce colouration - I'm really not a fan of tone controls!

Seems like you might be better off just putting a stepped attenuator into a case as a passive pre...you're not a fan of coloration via tone controls, but you are OK with the tube buffer sound...? Unless you are using the P3 so it has a family look with a V3 amp?

I keep pushing Fosi to develop a multi-input solid state preamp, similar to the discontinued Schiit Saga S... I would like tone controls, but with the center position for them taking them out of the circuit for "tone direct" playback... Plus good attenuator, remote, switchable between gain stage and passive mode (this was a nice aspect to the Schiit product)...

Back