Banner Image

Co-create the CD player

will williams

Hey guys,
We've been getting a lot of feedback from users expressing the need for a CD player, and we're gearing up to develop this product in 2024. Currently, the CD player is in the early stages of functionality definition, and we'd love to hear your suggestions. Let's collaborate and create this CD player together. Below is an initial product sketch for your reference.

Additionally, we'd like to confirm a couple of points:
  1. What do you believe would be a reasonable price point for this CD player?
  2. In which scenarios do you envision using it most frequently?
  3. Do you need a balanced TRS output interface to connect to active speakers?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!1.png2.png3.png

I would look at the shanling ET3 for inspiration. A round lid to drop in on the cd instead of a mechanical lid on springs or friction. As for the functionality, make two version.

1. an all out media system with streaming, cd, micro sd storage and/or usb-c input for external drives. digital and analog outputs anf bluetooth an WiFi that can be used as a preamp. No need for XLR, RCA is good enough.
2. a dedicated CD transport, no dac. Coax, Toslink, USB and I2S output (use the PS Audio pin out). Use an external power supply that has decent quality (doesn't cost two dollars for you, maybe a GaN-fet like you are selling for the V3/ZA3) , but can be upgraded. Sell the transport with and without the power supply included. Pay special attention to the clocking of the transport.

Hello Will,
  • What do you believe would be a reasonable price point for this CD player?
The reasonable price would be 250 to 350€, after the price of the specifications.
  • In which scenarios do you envision using it most frequently?
On a hifi system / hifi amplifier, in the living room or in a bedroom.
  • Do you need a balanced TRS output interface to connect to active speakers?
No, you don't need this function.

You will need a remote control and a very good quality DAC.

The player seems pretty light to me. To reduce vibration I would like to see wall mounting holes on the bottom so wall mounting or mounting on heavy base of some sort is possible.

Hello Will,
  • What do you believe would be a reasonable price point for this CD player?
The reasonable price would be 250 to 350€, after the price of the specifications.
  • In which scenarios do you envision using it most frequently?
On a hifi system / hifi amplifier, in the living room or in a bedroom.
  • Do you need a balanced TRS output interface to connect to active speakers?
No, you don't need this function.

You will need a remote control and a very good quality DAC.
thank you for you reply

Back