Banner Image

Co-create the CD player

will williams

Hey guys,
We've been getting a lot of feedback from users expressing the need for a CD player, and we're gearing up to develop this product in 2024. Currently, the CD player is in the early stages of functionality definition, and we'd love to hear your suggestions. Let's collaborate and create this CD player together. Below is an initial product sketch for your reference.

Additionally, we'd like to confirm a couple of points:
  1. What do you believe would be a reasonable price point for this CD player?
  2. In which scenarios do you envision using it most frequently?
  3. Do you need a balanced TRS output interface to connect to active speakers?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!1.png2.png3.png

I would look at the shanling ET3 for inspiration. A round lid to drop in on the cd instead of a mechanical lid on springs or friction. As for the functionality, make two version.

1. an all out media system with streaming, cd, micro sd storage and/or usb-c input for external drives. digital and analog outputs anf bluetooth an WiFi that can be used as a preamp. No need for XLR, RCA is good enough.
2. a dedicated CD transport, no dac. Coax, Toslink, USB and I2S output (use the PS Audio pin out). Use an external power supply that has decent quality (doesn't cost two dollars for you, maybe a GaN-fet like you are selling for the V3/ZA3) , but can be upgraded. Sell the transport with and without the power supply included. Pay special attention to the clocking of the transport.

Hello Will,
  • What do you believe would be a reasonable price point for this CD player?
The reasonable price would be 250 to 350€, after the price of the specifications.
  • In which scenarios do you envision using it most frequently?
On a hifi system / hifi amplifier, in the living room or in a bedroom.
  • Do you need a balanced TRS output interface to connect to active speakers?
No, you don't need this function.

You will need a remote control and a very good quality DAC.

The player seems pretty light to me. To reduce vibration I would like to see wall mounting holes on the bottom so wall mounting or mounting on heavy base of some sort is possible.

Hello Will,
  • What do you believe would be a reasonable price point for this CD player?
The reasonable price would be 250 to 350€, after the price of the specifications.
  • In which scenarios do you envision using it most frequently?
On a hifi system / hifi amplifier, in the living room or in a bedroom.
  • Do you need a balanced TRS output interface to connect to active speakers?
No, you don't need this function.

You will need a remote control and a very good quality DAC.
thank you for you reply

A little late to the party but here are my 2 cents
1 Price: somewhere between 150 and 200 USD.
2. Use cases: Home stereo mostly.
Design concept looks interesting.and different. Would be nice to have this CD Player as a Transport only device to keep the cost down, with rca, Toslink, coax.outs, maybe wifi. And a decent Power Supply.

Transport in the smaller format that works perfectly and has both coax and toslink outputs! And is attractive and compatible with other Fosi products - maybe offer in both black and silver/pewter finishes?

HI,

Surely you feel the lack of a small-sized CD player to be used in a class 'D' system that has a good quality / price ratio.
The model you see in the sketch is quite comfortable and comes close to the style of Fosi Audio.
The thing that puzzles me is the mode of closing the lid which could create some vibration problems.
The play, stop, pause rev fwd buttons are fine. Prev and next would also be useful. Or a remote control that has these possibilities and also to select the desired song
I don't think you need a headphone output because it's useless.
Those who use the reader certainly connect it to an amplifier already equipped with a headphone output. Instead, a digital output preferably optical and an analog RCA output is also indispensable with jack - RCA adapter
The volume knob also seems superfluous. A power and song selection knob with any display might be useful.

1. The price depends on the type of reader, the type of power supply, the converter used and the mechanics. Considering the size, the competition and maintaining an adequate quality I would say from 180 to 250 euros.
  2. I see the reader for use in a class “d” system where the user needs to optimize the spaces without sacrificing quality and aesthetics. It no longer makes sense to talk about portable CD readers. No one uses them anymore. This is also why the headphone output is useless
  3. I don't think the balanced output is needed because musicians who use active speakers often connect them to a mixer or a professional sound card. Those who listen to music at home hardly use active speakers. The thing that I consider most important is instead the mechanics, a good converter, the right external power supply perhaps to keep it separate from the circuits and the lack of vibrations.

I like the top closing lid because it reminds me of a vinyl record player, however won't this cause issues for people who like to stack or rack these smaller hi fi products? I guess it will mean that this product will always need to be the one on the top shelf of the rack. It looks really good though, and I was just thinking about looking into purchasing an affordable CD player this week. Will have to see how this product develops....

I would like to see:

1. A small LCD screen similar to seven-segment setups. Not a big distracting bright screen. Similar to the Yamaha CD-S300 or Onkyo C-7030.

1(a).Preferably no use of blue LEDs anywhere on the build.

2. Internal P/S; don't make me have to manage hiding a brick. This also adds heft to the unit, which is nice.

3. All metal casing.

3(a). No big metal front plate that is larger than the body of the unit.

4. Decent remote that isn't the size of half a stack of playing cards; an actual long form remote. Consider the modern Yamaha and Onkyo remote design as an example.

5. Optical and digital outs only.

5(a). Onboard DAC unnecessary.

6. Tray or slot, not top loading.

6(a). No removable lid or something that can be lost/misplaced or create damage or collect dirt/debris. Don't try and reinvent the wheel. Tray/slot is fine.

7. Standby mode option controlled by remote.

8. Price point under $300

9. Beefy rubber feet so the unit won't slide when I insert a disc or push the tray closed.

10. Unit powers on when I touch the eject button, and closes the tray when I power the unit off.

11. Must come in the two basic colors: silver and black and for God's sake not two tone like the Denon DCD-50.

12. Small form factor ideal. 10"x10"x4" or something roughly similar.

I don't need a built in amp, DAC outs, or any of that. I have other devices handling that for me. I think at this point most people buying modern Hi-Fi audio have already made their decisions about who makes their DAC, their amp, their steamer etc. even Fosi audio makes these as separate components in many cases!

Adding extra features and upping the price-point because of it, ends with me just surfing Zenmarket or eBay for some cheap DVD transport that isn't trash.

What I do need is a seamless, transparent CD transport at a reasonable price vs build, that never makes itself apparent in the system build.

I WANT to forget about this unit; that's the point. Sell me an affordable, seamless, inspired design CD transport and let me enjoy my collection!

I prefer buying tools and equipment that do individual things, very, very well, rather than anything that tries to do half a dozen things, all mediocre-ly deployed.

For external design, consider looking at the form factor of the Buckeye Amps, or the SMSL M400 DAC, the WiIM Pro streamer, or the Fosi Audio V3 Mono. I love those chunky switches!!

Last edited:
Back