Banner Image

Co-create the CD player

CD transport with functions similar to the newly released Shanking CR60. Price at or below Shanlings price.

Lift off lid rather than spring loaded.

Remote, and basic display showing track number.

Form factor, make same shape as ZA3/ZD3.

For me no DAC required, but may increase your sales if you include one - with the option to bypass via coax/toslink.

Most important, make sure this is a good quality transport. Anyone who has CDs already owns a CD player (I currently use a Sony DVD blueray player), so this needs to be better than the one they already have.

While a quality transport is the most economical option, there aren't too many DAC/CD player combos out there.

If you make the transport that stacks with the za3 and zd3, I might get them all for a home office.

If you made them as part of a top-notch streamer/CD player/DAC, I would make that item the centerpiece of most my setups.

Hey guys,
We've been getting a lot of feedback from users expressing the need for a CD player, and we're gearing up to develop this product in 2024. Currently, the CD player is in the early stages of functionality definition, and we'd love to hear your suggestions. Let's collaborate and create this CD player together. Below is an initial product sketch for your reference.

Additionally, we'd like to confirm a couple of points:
  1. What do you believe would be a reasonable price point for this CD player?
  2. In which scenarios do you envision using it most frequently?
  3. Do you need a balanced TRS output interface to connect to active speakers?
4. Transport only would be fine

1 Price point 100 euro
2 As a player near the Fosi amp
3 Just as a deck no amplification with optical out and rca or 3,5 mm jack.
4 orange spindle weight is a must no slot

Don't know what the status of this is... seems I'm a little late to the party... but if you're still mulling over input: as some others said, make it a solid transport that does 1 thing well instead of multiple things poorly. No need for balanced, or even RCA, output - just coax and toslink, and maybe USB . It MUST have a remote, and not a tiny, easily lost and hard-to-operate one. No need for volume control either (unless that orange knob is meant to be for track selection?), USB input for hard drives or thumb drives. No delay added between tracks. And since all the other Fosi components are black, make it black. Unless that lid introduces absolutely no vibration risk, ditch it and go with tray-loading. Price point should be under 300 USD.
Hi
I’m really happy to receive the suggestions you’ve provided.
Currently, the CD player is under development and is expected to launch in April 2025. Many of your ideas align with ours.
However, we will still keep a volume knob on the device, as it makes the operation more straightforward and convenient.

4. Transport only would be fine

1 Price point 100 euro
2 As a player near the Fosi amp
3 Just as a deck no amplification with optical out and rca or 3,5 mm jack.
4 orange spindle weight is a must no slot
Thank you for your suggestions. These features are already in the process of being implemented.

While a quality transport is the most economical option, there aren't too many DAC/CD player combos out there.

If you make the transport that stacks with the za3 and zd3, I might get them all for a home office.

If you made them as part of a top-notch streamer/CD player/DAC, I would make that item the centerpiece of most my setups.
Yes, this model will be a combination of a DAC and CD player, leveraging our R&D strengths in the Hi-Fi field.

Your choices may be dictated by the market, Fiio is releasing a portable CD player in September, internal battery, Bluetooth etc for ~$200. Much of the functionality is not needed, a quality transport with coax/optical out and internal or external power brick would be perfect to fit with existing components (DAC, Amp etc.). Gapless playback and information rich display and a quality remote are required.
Our positioning for this CD player is focused on compatibility with FOSI’s DACs and amplifiers, so it’s likely not going to be portable.

The gapless playback feature is a must. :D

I am Shiva Shanker Prasad from India. Fosi Audio should design and develop very simple design of CD Player with Coaxial and Digital Output with dedicated 12 volt external power input. Cost should be around 150 $
Yes, it agrees with our idea.

CD transport with functions similar to the newly released Shanking CR60. Price at or below Shanlings price.

Lift off lid rather than spring loaded.

Remote, and basic display showing track number.

Form factor, make same shape as ZA3/ZD3.

For me no DAC required, but may increase your sales if you include one - with the option to bypass via coax/toslink.

Most important, make sure this is a good quality transport. Anyone who has CDs already owns a CD player (I currently use a Sony DVD blueray player), so this needs to be better than the one they already have.
We will try our best to make the CD player better. Thank you for your suggestion.

Back