Banner Image

Fosi LC30 VU Meter Review

I was looking at making some VU meters for my setup and reading a few reddit posts on some Arduino meters people had made, so I went searching for VU meters on Amazon and came across the Fosi LC30 VU meter. The meters themselves were bigger than the one’s in the Arduino project and it came as a speaker and amp switcher! More than I could ask for.

Originally plugging into a single Krell Showcase Amp, and 2 sets of Bowers & Wilkins speakers, setting up the LC30 was straight forward and easy. There’s Two sets of Amp input and two sets of Speaker output binding posts, easily accepting my 10 AWG speaker wire. The supplied power cable is nicely braided and long enough to reach other components for an accepting USB outlet.
Firing up my system was a joy. Watching the warm VU meters spring to life was exciting. But the moment was fleeting... which brings me to one of the reasons I love this product. I noticed the left channel VU meter wasn’t working nearly as well as the right channel. So I checked all my connections, switched speakers, yet still the same. It wasn’t the setup, or the device. It was something I had slightly suspected but thought maybe myhearing was going, or room acoustics were bad. One of my channels in my amp was dying. I switched to another of the 7 channels and the VU meters pinged in unison! I was so thrilled to have this confirmed and my system sounding beautiful!

Once I had that settled, I turned my attention to my tuner. I originally had an Adcom GFT-2 rack mount tuner that was black and clashed with the rest of my system. The Fosi LC30 allows me a second amp and the opportunity to use my Luxman Receiver for my tuner! It sounds much better than the Adcom and I’m just thrilled about this!
The LC30 comes with a remote that allows you to switch speakers, switch amps, adjust VU meter brightness and Power On. Which brings me to the only flaw I ran into. The Power Button on the remote I received did not function. But this led me to one of the best Customer Service experiences I have ever had. A quick email and explanation of the problem had them sending a new remote immediately. Kudos!

From what was just going to be a piece of visual flare has quickly become an integral part of my system. From the pleasure of watching dancing needles play, to being able to expand my system, to diagnosing issues with my system, the LC30 has proven itself indispensable.IMG_9259.jpeg

Back