Banner Image

Review: The Fosi Audio VOL20 Multimedia Volume Control Knob

ZA3 3.jpeg
When I was told Fosi Audio would be sending me their upcoming VOL20 Multimedia Volume Control Knob for Beta testing and review, I admittedly wasn’t sure whether I’d be able to put it to effective use. I’m not a big PC user, whether it be for gaming or work, so I put considerable effort into working out how I could fit it into my home stereo audio chain.

But what exactly is the VOL20? If you haven’t been able to work it out from the name, it’s a zinc alloy puck which allows you to control multimedia playing on a connected device. With a diameter of 6.5cm and 3.1cm high, it is divided into two sections separated by a customizable RGB strip. The upper section of the VOL20 is an infinite rotation volume control, with the base containing the power switch, two control buttons and a USB-C port. The VOL20 can be connected to the device of your choice by either Bluetooth or via the USB-C port, and the 750mAh battery can provide up to 15 hours of wireless use - much longer if you have the light strip deactivated.
Unit 5.jpeg

Initial Impressions​

My initial impressions of the VOL20 were very positive. Packaging was compact and separated into two parts with a hint of orange peeking between them. I’m not sure if Fosi Audio intended the box to replicate the aesthetic of the VOL20, but that’s the impression I got.

Inside the box is the VOL20, the User Instructions, and a USB-C cable. Which, admittedly, is all you need. Instructions are brief, but not needlessly so - there’s just not much to operating the VOL20, it’s that simple. In the hand the VOL20 feels, for want of a better word, ‘comforting’. Weighing 170g it sits nicely in your palm, and the dial rotates freely with just the right amount of resistance on the detents. The weight combined with the rubber ring on the base means that the VOL20 won’t move around during use, further enhancing the impression of a sturdy, high quality product.

Functions​

The functions of the VOL20 are controlled via two orange buttons on the base. The ‘Function Button’ provides your standard multimedia controls - Play/Pause, Next/Previous Track, and Mute. The other button, the ‘Light Mode Button’, allows you to set the behaviour of the light strip from Constant On, Constant Off, Auto Off, and Colour Cycle, as well as break the current Bluetooth connection. The button can also be used in conjunction with the dial to set the colour of the light strip.

The controls are very simple and intuitive to operate, although I did sometimes have issues either finding the buttons - they being quite small - or inadvertently pressing them while moving the VOL20. This isn’t a major problem, more like an occasional inconvenience, but a nicer touch would be the top dial also taking on the role of multimedia controls - depress it for Play/Pause, etc.
Unit 3.jpeg

Connecting the VOL20​

Bluetooth connection couldn’t be simpler. Turn on the power switch on the bottom and select the VOL20 on your device's Bluetooth menu. Fosi Audio have made effective use of the VOL20’s light strip in this regard. If it is flashing blue, you’re not connected, if the light is steady, it’s connected. When it comes time to swap between devices, double click the ‘Light Mode Button’, breaking the current Bluetooth connection and placing the VOL20 back into pairing mode - the light strip will start flashing blue.

The VOL20 obviously remembers its last pairing, so once it's paired you just need to turn it on and connection is automatic. It does seem, however, that it only stores one pairing. If you’re swapping the VOL20 between devices things can get a bit problematic. If you select the VOL20 from a previously connected device’s Bluetooth menu, it won’t connect - your device has stored the pairing, but the VOL20 hasn’t. You just have to forget the pairing from your device, and re-pair as you would the first time. This won’t be a problem if you’re using the VOL20 for a single purpose, but if you’re bouncing between devices like I was during testing, then it adds a couple of steps to the process, albeit simple ones.

Connection via USB-C is even simpler. Just plug it in and you’re set. This is a good solution if you’re using the VOL20 at your desktop and you don’t mind it being wired in, but if you’re looking for a more flexible or wireless solution, then Bluetooth it is. Fosi Audio quote a range of 10m for the Bluetooth connection and that seems pretty accurate, give or take. Throughout my use I experienced no dropouts or connection problems. For someone who’s not a big fan of Bluetooth, I’m impressed with how painless the whole process is with the VOL20.

Use Cases​

This is where I was expecting things to be challenging. As I mentioned earlier, I’m not one for sitting at my desktop for extended periods of time - whether gaming or working. Having said that though, the times I have used the VOL20 with my Mac have been flawless and much simpler than using keyboard controls for my music. On the other hand, I’ve had no luck using the VOL20 with my Chromebook via Bluetooth. They will pair and connect, but the VOL20 won’t control any of the media, including volume. Plugging it into USB-C resolves this and the device works as you’d expect.

Where I wanted to put it to use was in my various audio chains. Depending on what I’m doing I may listen to my music though IEMs connected to my iPhone via a dongle DAC, or through WiiM streamers connected either to my Fosi Audio Tube-P2 headphone amplifier or through my ZA3 amplifier if I’m using speakers.

The iPhone was the easiest solution. Simply connect the VOL20 to the iPhone, start your music and you’re set. Media and volume controls work as you would expect. If you’re using a Dongle DAC though, there is a caveat. The volume functionality will depend on your DAC. For example, if I have my FiiO KA17 DAC connected, it works like a dream as the phone still retains the volume functionality. Other Dongle DACs, such as my FiiO BTR5 and iBasso DC03Pro, set the output volume of the phone to 100% and rely on the DAC for controlling volume. In this case the media controls of the VOL20 still work, but the volume doesn’t. An easy way to tell is to plug your DAC into your phone and if the volume slider is full and greyed out, then the VOL20 is of limited use.
Dongle 3.jpeg

Making the VOL20 fit into my audio chain required a bit more creative thinking as neither of my components - the WiiM streamers or Fosi Audio amplifiers - have the ability to connect an external controller, apart from the supplied remote control. Your success using the VOL20 will greatly depend on your audio source. The TL;DR version is if you‘re using digital sources, it may work, but if your music is analogue there’s not much chance - at least not with the equipment I’m using here. Here’s why.

For my music library I’m running a Roon Server, which I control using an old Samsung tablet, feeding to my various streamers and endpoints,. By connecting the VOL20 to the tablet, I’ve now got it controlling the media being sent out by Roon. The beauty of this setup is I can use it to control any of my Roon connected endpoints - including the Wiim streamers connected to the ZA3 in my listening room, to my Tube-P2 headphone amp, or to the soundbar in my living room, as well as any of the Chromecast devices I have around the house. I’ve had the connection between the tablet and VOL20 dropout a few times, but waking the tablet up fixes this, so it’s not perfect.
Headphone 1.jpeg

Things get a bit more complicated if you’re using an iPhone as a media controller. It seems that the iPhone is reluctant to relinquish control to streaming devices, so if you attempt to use it as a Roon controller, as I have with the Samsung tablet, it won't work. Adjusting the volume via the VOL20 will change the volume on the iPhone itself, but will have no impact on the volume of the Roon stream, nor will the media controls have any effect. This also applies if you’re casting to a Google Chromecast endpoint, for example from Tidal or Spotify. The only success I had controlling the iPhone’s stream with the VOL20 was when I was using Airplay, due to the stream passing though the iPhone before going to the endpoint - unlike Roon and Chromecast. In this case it worked as expected, and did it very well.

When it comes to analogue sources, such as a turntable or cassette player plugged into a WiiM streamer as a pre-amp, with no intermediate controller the VOL20 isn’t really a practical solution. I did have some luck controlling the volume of my WiiM Pro Plus, but it required connecting the VOL20 to my iPhone, then making sure I had the phone unlocked and the WiiM application open at the same time. Only then did turning the VOL20 adjust the volume of the WiiM Pro Plus. But if you’re going to that much effort, you might as well just pick up the remote control for your amplifier and use that.

Final Thoughts​

After all that, what do I think of the VOL20 Multimedia Volume Control Knob?

Despite the workarounds I needed to make it work with some aspects of my audio set up, I still like it. The scenarios I mentioned above are merely the result of me experimenting to find the true capabilities and limitations of the device. But when it’s connected to my Mac when I’m at the desk, to my Samsung tablet and controlling Roon, or controlling playback on my iPhone, it provides for a great analogue feel to my media controls. I’m not picking up my phone and fiddling with side volume buttons, or having to wake up the screen to pause or skip tracks. Similarly, when streaming via Roon, I can easily pick the VOL20 up and move it around the room with me if needed - or simply rest it on the arm of my listening chair, instead of having to reach for the tablet. Not to mention it’s more aesthetically pleasing than the standard remote control.

Does it have its limitations? Sure, but I don’t think that’s the fault of the device. Any problems I experienced were the result of trying to make it work within a system which had its own limitations and constraints. When I used it for its intended purpose it was flawless. It’s simple to operate, looks and feels great, and does exactly what it says on the box.

Will it be a suitable purchase for you? My answer to that is a definite maybe. If you’re going to use it to control media on your desktop PC while you work or game, then definitely. Plug it in, or connect it via Bluetooth, and you’re ready in seconds. If you want it to be a link in your audio chain, then that may take some research and playing around to ensure it’s fit for purpose. I’ve found a way to make it work well in my arrangement - aided significantly by Roon and my use of digital media - but your mileage may vary.

The VOL20 is certainly a device worth considering. I think if Fosi Audio made their amplifiers Bluetooth controllable, or developed a method to retrofit such a capability into existing audio systems, then the VOL20 would find itself elevated from being a useful device to an essential one.​

It would be great to keep this in mind when developing a Streamer DAC + Pre. I would definitely buy the complete combo!

Back