Banner Image

Amplifier ZA3 in mono mode using XLR input?

dennycranium

Hi
Firstly, I searched online for an answer to my question(s)
I have two fosi audio za3's
I want to hook up the second one in and use it in mono. I also have a powered sub.
I currently use one amp in stereo and XLR input.
The instructions in the manual only show how to hook up using RCA cables. (for mono)
What is the procedure for running two ZA3s in mono using XLR inputs? Is it the same procedure as RCA cables just using XLR inputs?
I also have a powered subwoofer. Do I just use one of the subouts from one of the amps?
I use an SMSL DO200 DAC, which has a sub out. Should I use that one?
This is my signal path- USB C from my computer to SMSL PO100+/to SMSL DO200 using I2S input/XLR out of DO200 to Fosi PK01 XLR input. XLR out of Fosi SK01 to XLR into 1 ZA3 in stereo mode. (You can see why I want to continue using XLR.) (I also plan to do an XLR opamp upgrade using 3602.)
Many thanks!!

Hi
Firstly, I searched online for an answer to my question(s)
I have two fosi audio za3's
I want to hook up the second one in and use it in mono. I also have a powered sub.
I currently use one amp in stereo and XLR input.
The instructions in the manual only show how to hook up using RCA cables. (for mono)
What is the procedure for running two ZA3s in mono using XLR inputs? Is it the same procedure as RCA cables just using XLR inputs?
I also have a powered subwoofer. Do I just use one of the subouts from one of the amps?
I use an SMSL DO200 DAC, which has a sub out. Should I use that one?
This is my signal path- USB C from my computer to SMSL PO100+/to SMSL DO200 using I2S input/XLR out of DO200 to Fosi PK01 XLR input. XLR out of Fosi SK01 to XLR into 1 ZA3 in stereo mode. (You can see why I want to continue using XLR.) (I also plan to do an XLR opamp upgrade using 3602.)
Many thanks!!
I have my 2x ZA3's operating in mono mode and both are connected using XLR cables.
And yes you are correct, you just connect the Lt and Rt cables from your source to only the Rt inputs on each amp. In effect mirroring how a pair of rca's would be connected.
As for the feed to your sub, I am not sure! Perhaps without extra kit, all you can do is feed it from one amp only.
I don't have this problem because I use a MiniDSP flex which is configured for 1xLt main out, 1xRt main out and a combined Lt/Rt out for my sub. The latter of which means I do not use the ZA3's own sub feed.
If it helps, the much cheaper, but excellent [though RCA only] miniDSP 2x4 HD can be set up to do exactly the same thing.

I hope my blathering has made some sense!
Whatever your solution, good luck.

Back