Banner Image

ZA3 - XLR Op Amp swap

Many people prefer MUSES02 for their warm sound, maybe I'll try to play with different op-amps later :)
I've swapped op-amps in XLR for SS3602 and immediately noticed that a little harshness in the high frequencies went away, but at the same time the highs became much darker. I waited about a week while they warmed up. After a week, the high frequencies returned to normal, the stage has become wider. I felt the sound became softer without loss of detail. Overall, I don't think replacing a second pair of op amps is a good decision, considering their price, but they definitely make some difference.
At the same time I'm very impressed with performance of this two little amps, I have class A Atoll IN100 amplifier, but I don't use it anymore. A pair of Za3's with SS3602 provide higher detail, better soundstage, bass control, instruments separation. They perform much better at low volumes. Atoll is a good amp, but but for the genres of music that I listen to (rock, heavy metal) it's not the best choice.
I didn’t hear any noticeable changes (and didn't expect) changes from replacing the op amps (OPA2124PA) in the sub out.
Setup: Gustard R26, ProAc DB3, Rel Quake.

Update: Today I saw a video on YouTube (channel VirtualHiFi) where the author recommends removing unused opamps, since they are still in the power circuit and will affect the sound. I'll definitely try it in the next few days.

Update 2: Removed all unused opamps and...wow! This immediately made a big difference, much bigger than replacing the second pair of opamps for xlr. The sound became much softer, adding width and openness to the sound stage. And this upgrade was absolutely free :)
I'll chime in on removing unused opamps.
I have two ZA3s that I run in mono mode, and a P3 which also outputs to a subwoofer.
After reading the earlier posts, I went in and took out the unused opamps, leaving only a Sparkos SS3602 in the R outputs.
The resulting change in sound is remarkable. With the stock opamps in, it sounded like the speaker grills were on, even when they were off. With the "unused" opamps out of the signal path, the sound was a lot more open and clear.
When Fosi releases a preamp with XLR outputs, I'll go back in a try Sparkos in the input circuit.

Hello! I recommend erasing the old thermal paste and applying new one (arctic cooling mx-5, for example) so as not to accidentally overheat the amplifier. If you don't use sub out, you can remove these opamps. I pulled them out at the same time as the left channel opamp. In my opinion, the presence of NE5532 in the circuit makes the sound much more closed.
Thank you for your feedback, I took out the unused left opamps, and also the SubOut opamps. Worked great. Now I have ordered a set of SS3602’s for the R-Op amp, but not for the XLR inputs as this is apparently not necessary. Hopefully Fosi will answer this last question as it has been mentioned above in another comment.

Thank you for your feedback, I took out the unused left opamps, and also the SubOut opamps. Worked great. Now I have ordered a set of SS3602’s for the R-Op amp, but not for the XLR inputs as this is apparently not necessary. Hopefully Fosi will answer this last question as it has been mentioned above in another comment.
I'm so surprised with performance of these two little amps that I want to test another theory: if removing ops from the left channel still affects the sound in mono mode, it might make sense to try putting another Sparkos in the left channel.
As soon as I buy two more SS3602 opamps and try it, I’ll write here about the results.
Fosi also mentioned that they are going to release a 10A 48V power supply, I’m also really looking forward to it.

Finally got the 2nd ZA3 to switch to mono mode. I took out the L channels opamps. Both the R channels and XLR got the MUSES02. For the sub, I'm using an RCA splitter to utilize both R&L outputs. Everything is sounding perfect so far. =)

I asked bard if it could be used for cancelling out interference. Of course I do not know if it is telling the truth or just making stuff up since it doesn't seem to know the difference.

For verification reasons I asked it:

Answer
Helloim new here and thank you for your post.

I have a question, #1 are you familiar with the rolls audio MB15b and if so nice to know, if not, I have two of those and my question is, if my preamp, conrad Johnson pf-2 is only single ended out inverting signals.. I add the rolls will the signal be a better option with this type of set up to me the preamp should work in full balanced operation? These are neat little options but I think the walwarts should be replaced with a linear power supply and wow.. most audiophiles don't know about the rolls audio conversion box.

Thanks

Normally speaking, we can just replace the R-OPAMPs on two ZA3s.
Hello Fosi and members. I'm new here and I'm still learning how to navigate this site.. has anyone tinkered with this opamp yet and if so I really wanna put these in left/right channels. The specs seem promising.

OPA1644​

Finally got the 2nd ZA3 to switch to mono mode. I took out the L channels opamps. Both the R channels and XLR got the MUSES02. For the sub, I'm using an RCA splitter to utilize both R&L outputs. Everything is sounding perfect so far. =)
Hello.. so you can just leave one channel running with the left side being empty without an opamp on that side and it won't hurt the circuit?

In the end, I settled on the following configuration of opamps: Sparkos SS3602 for XLR, Burson V7 Pro Classic for the right channel and SS3602 for the left channel. You don’t have to install the opamp in the left channel, but I liked it better this way, feel like its adds more transparency to the sound.
za3.jpg

Last edited:
I tried only R Op amp with one ZA3 and both Op amp with another One, Op Amp burson Vivid 7 Pro and the difference is important, it's better with both L and R Op Amp Vivid 7 than only R with Vivid 7. Same thing with XLR Op Amp. So Fosi, why we have to change both Op Amp if only the R channel is used ? Same thing with the future V3 Mono, why 2 OP amp if we have only one output ?

Back