Banner Image

Co-create the Streaming amplifier

Which ID option for the streamer do your prefer?

• A

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • B

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
I actually thought that I would have a WiiM ultra by now and not be looking for another pre/streamer for the foreseeable future. This is not the case.

A pre/streamer in this age must cater to an amazing wide range of services if it want to appeal to a wide audience. Some people use iOS, some android, some Spotify, some swear by Roon, etc, etc.

Now I am a iOS/macos user and I didn’t buy the Ultra because no airplay. I know airplay isn’t lossless but the convince is amazing. I use it for sources that aren’t hires anyway like streaming radio (a lot of bbc sounds for example). Also it’s easy to use for my children. I prefer them using airplay than the alternative: listening via the phone’s speaker :cry:

There has been some great feedback above. I agree that an analog input is useful. I would need one for my phones pre. Alternatively a phono input, like on the ultra, is nice but for a price conscience device quality would be limited.

Software development and UI would be very important for a device like this. I would need to trust a brand to have a ongoing development so that I can still use Spotify of Deezer or whatever, even in five years when these companies have surely been tweaking the APIs.

UI is another story. And product like this needs a good app, as an input medium and to adjust settings. WiiM is well regarded in that aspect but honestly, their app isn’t even that great (I have a WiiM amp). But it is much better than the competition (I’ve used Marantz and Denon apps:rolleyes:). I honestly believe there is still a lot of room for improvement.

On the design of the enclosure: I think a strong design language really enhance a brand’s appeal. Option D would connect to and further build on some of the strong successes Fosi has had and would — imo — be the sensible starting point.

On a personal note: I dislike the quirky design of Fiio R9. It would suit a desktop but I would be looking at something for my tv cabinet. And that’s an important development consideration; where would the product be used: desktop or living room?

Hope some of this helps and furthers your ideas and development.

Hi, Joostdh.

I agree with practically everything!

What I would really skip would be a phono input. One that meets a minimum of quality would raise the price a lot. One that only meets the minimum requirements does not make sense for a vinyl lover. Better to have a line input and let everyone connect their favorite phono pre.

Regards!

In fact, it's a sorrow that the latest ZD3 Pre that FOSI is announcing today didn't add a subwoofer output with bass management.
It would be a perfect preamplifier for my use case. I would just have to think about updating my streamer from time to time.

I actually thought that I would have a WiiM ultra by now and not be looking for another pre/streamer for the foreseeable future. This is not the case.

A pre/streamer in this age must cater to an amazing wide range of services if it want to appeal to a wide audience. Some people use iOS, some android, some Spotify, some swear by Roon, etc, etc.

Now I am a iOS/macos user and I didn’t buy the Ultra because no airplay. I know airplay isn’t lossless but the convince is amazing. I use it for sources that aren’t hires anyway like streaming radio (a lot of bbc sounds for example). Also it’s easy to use for my children. I prefer them using airplay than the alternative: listening via the phone’s speaker :cry:

There has been some great feedback above. I agree that an analog input is useful. I would need one for my phones pre. Alternatively a phono input, like on the ultra, is nice but for a price conscience device quality would be limited.

Software development and UI would be very important for a device like this. I would need to trust a brand to have a ongoing development so that I can still use Spotify of Deezer or whatever, even in five years when these companies have surely been tweaking the APIs.

UI is another story. And product like this needs a good app, as an input medium and to adjust settings. WiiM is well regarded in that aspect but honestly, their app isn’t even that great (I have a WiiM amp). But it is much better than the competition (I’ve used Marantz and Denon apps:rolleyes:). I honestly believe there is still a lot of room for improvement.

On the design of the enclosure: I think a strong design language really enhance a brand’s appeal. Option D would connect to and further build on some of the strong successes Fosi has had and would — imo — be the sensible starting point.

On a personal note: I dislike the quirky design of Fiio R9. It would suit a desktop but I would be looking at something for my tv cabinet. And that’s an important development consideration; where would the product be used: desktop or living room?

Hope some of this helps and furthers your ideas and development.
Hi
These suggestions are very helpful to us and we are also recognize that streamer need to meet a broader range of user needs.
Thank you very much for your valuable insights.

Well then we might agree on everything 😎 This is exactly what I meant, it seems I just didn’t phrase it clearly. One line in is fine. A dedicated phono line in adds complexity and costs. And Fosi sells some fine phono pres should someone need it.
In that case, 1000% agree! We will wait for Fosi Audio to move forward with the development of this project. At the moment I already have my eye on the new ZD3.
Greetings!

Back